What are we looking for in our Senior Software Engineer?
Senior Software Engineer – Java @ BIDS Trading
Locations: Calgary, AB, or New York City, NY
BIDS Trading is an institutional network and broker/dealer that provides software to help asset managers trade large blocks of liquidity. BIDS Trading operates two of the world’s largest equity block trading systems, one in the U.S. and the other in Europe. As Senior Software Engineer, you will design and implement key components of our trading systems. You will collaborate with other technologists in Calgary and New York to identify opportunities to evolve and improve our service platform.
- Write and re-engineer server-side Java services to add and evolve functionality.
- Implement test harnesses and automation to improve test coverage.
- Constantly challenge yourself and the team for continuous improvement.
- Engage in production troubleshooting and participate in on-call rotation for third level support.
- Deep and broad experience in software engineering: designing, implementing, and refactoring complex systems in Java.
- High level of proficiency in SQL, Linux, and Bash
- Skilled at problem-solving, both big-picture architectural and detailed technical issues.
- Understanding of design trade-offs, especially around non-functional requirements such as security, performance, maintainability, testability, and resilience.
- Experience with automated testing tools such as Junit and Jmh.
- Experience using debuggers and profilers to diagnose and fix problems.
- Proficient in bash scripting and Linux command-line tools.
- Experience using source control management systems such as Git in a continuous integration environment.
- The successful candidate will have excellent analytical skills, attention to detail, and an ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively within a cross functional team environment.
- Exposure to development of trading systems.
- Knowledge of secure coding practices, common mistakes, and penetration testing approaches.
- Familiarity with building Docker images and running Docker containers.
- Experience with provisioning applications in AWS and leveraging various AWS services.